There are fewer than 6 Months left in the Ontario Municipal Elections – only 179 days!
If you think that is plenty of time, think again. Each councillor candidate running in a ward election has about 5,000 voter homes. If you do not have to luxury of incumbency and are serious about winning you should get to every house twice, meaning you have 10,000 doors to knock. If you started today that is 56 houses per day, which is manageable. However, throw in a kid’s birthday, a friend’s wedding, a couple of community events and a bunch late nights at work and that 56 door target starts growing. All of sudden you need to hit a few hundred houses a day.
Do not let this discourage you there is still a lot of paths to victory (good determined candidates are hardly discouraged anyway). If are starting on your election now here is what you should do right away:
- Door knocking, start today!
- Seek volunteers and a support network (Election Kitchen Cabinet)
- Write a campaign plan with specific week to week goals
- Draft a budget
- Write your platform and create your professional literature
- Raise some money – elections are not cheap
- Order lawn-signs (the lead time in the late summer could burn you)
- Knock on more doors
All that being said, pace yourself by holding back a number of events and ideas for the fall when everyone is watching. Hopefully by the fall all your voters recognize you from their doorway.
Keep an eye on this site for some municipal election strategy and tips. Good luck in your campaign.